Financial Aid

Back to SBCC

Student Employment

Putting Your Award To Work For You!!!
A Federal Work Study (FWS) job lets you earn part of your college expenses. The purpose of the program is to promote part-time employment opportunities for students. If you are eligible, you will be notified on your financial aid award letter (available in your SBCC Pipeline account). 

FWS students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 units and may not work more than 19.5 hours per week.

If you have any questions not answered below, please contact the Financial Aid Office in Room SS210 or call (805) 730-5157.

How Do I Apply?
You must complete and submit an FAFSA in order for the SBCC Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility for FWS. 

Will I Know If I Am Going To Get A FWS Job?
After completing your financial aid file, the Financial Aid Office will send you an email to inform you that you have been awarded. You view your awards online via your Pipeline account. If you are offered FWS as part of your package, and you are interested in employment, you must seek student employment through the Career Center.

What Kind Of Jobs Are Available?
FWS positions are available in a wide variety of on/off campus departments. There is an on line listing of current available job positions managed by the Career Center.

Can I Work As Many Hours As I Want?
NO. Your award will determine the number of hours you may work by indicating your allocation for the semester. The maximum number of hours per week you will be allowed to work while classes are in session is 19.5 or less, again, depending upon your FWS allocation.

How Will I Be Paid?
You must submit a time card online by the scheduled due date. Your supervisor will approve your hours. Normally, work-study recipients can expect to be paid once per month.

What Do I Do To Get A FWS Job?
You must:

  1. be enrolled in 6 units 
  2. complete required paperwork
  3. obtain a Job Referral from the Financial Aid Office 

When a supervisor offers you a position, you must:

  1. obtain the appropriate signatures on the Job Referral
  2. return Referral Form back to On Campus Student Employment Office - SS230 (Human Resources Office)
  3. obtain and complete an employment packet.  

What Must I Do To Keep My Award?
You must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and be in 6 units to continue to be eligible for FWS from semester to semester. Remember that your award is only valid for the academic year indicated. Once your funds are earned, or the academic year is over, your FWS position will end. 

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College