Financial Aid

Back to SBCC

Types of Aid


The SBCC Financial Aid Office offers scholarships to high school seniors and current SBCC students. Scholarships are awarded on academic achievement, community involvement or extra curricular activities and/or financial need. Gifts and endowments from private individuals, corporations, community organizations, and other foundations fund scholarships.

Private scholarships are derived from a variety of organizations that provide scholarship opportunities to students. Please contact the scholarship coordinator, Ivena Sakelarieva, via email at in the SBCC Financial Aid Office for more information.

California College Promise Grant (CCPG)                                                (Formerly the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver BOGW)

The CCPG waives enrollment fees to qualifying students who are California residents. To qualify, you must meet the following income requirements or other eligibility criteria outlined on the application. To apply Download the Application. Submit completed application to the Financial Aid Office.

                                       2017-2018                              2018-2019

Family Size

Year 2015 Income

Year 2016 Income
















Each Member



Apply for Federal Student Aid

Federal Work Study

If a student is offered Federal Work Study as part of his/her financial aid package, the SBCC Financial Aid Office will help students find a part-time job on or off campus. If possible, students will be placed in work related to his/her studies or career plans, or in community service. A student can work up to 19.5 hours per week and earn up to $3,000 per semester. A student will generally earn between $10.00 and $15.00 per hour and be paid once per month.

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grants are awarded solely on demonstrated financial need to every eligible undergraduate student who hasn't already earned a bachelor's degree or professional degree. Pell Grants do not need to be repaid. They can be used for tuition, fees, and living expenses. A student can even receive a Pell Grant if he/she is attending college less than half time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

The SBCC Financial Aid Office awards these grants to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need, with priority given to Pell Grant recipients. Unlike Pell Grants, there's no guarantee every eligible student will receive one. In addition, funds are limited. These grants don't need to be paid back.

Cal Grants

Cal Grants are awarded on demonstrated financial need and academic achievement as measured by a GPA to undergraduate students who haven't already earned a bachelor's degree or professional degree. Cal Grants don't need to be repaid. They can be used for tuition, fees, and living expenses. Contact the California Student Aid Commission at 1-888-224-7268 or visit their website for more information regarding deadlines and availability of funds.

If you receive a Cal Grant A but decide to attend a California Community College first, your award will be held in reserve for up to three years until you transfer to a four-year college. Be sure to inform the California Student Aid Commission of any address changes during this time. When you’re ready to transfer, be sure to notify the Commission so that your Cal Grant eligibility can be re-evaluated. Also, let your new college know that you have a Cal Grant A Reserve Grant.

If you receive a Cal Grant B, you can use your $1,672 living allowance to help pay for books and other community college costs. (If you do, however, keep in mind that you’ll be using up Cal Grant eligibility that you may instead want to save if you’re planning to transfer to a four-year college.)

If you’re pursuing a career or technical education, you can use your Cal Grant C award to pay for books and supplies at a community college.

If you didn’t receive a Cal Grant for community college, you may qualify for a Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement award to attend a four-year college.

Federal Direct Loans

There are two types of Direct Loans: subsidized, for which the government pays the interest while the student is in college; and unsubsidized, for which the student is responsible for paying all the interest on the loan, during college and after. A student can receive both types of loans at the same time.

For Direct subsidized loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2017 and before July 1, 2018, the fixed interest rate is 4.45%.  Direct unsubsidized loans have a fixed interest rate at 4.45%. After graduating, leaving school, or enrolling less than half time, a student will have a six month "grace period" before the first loan payment is due. All student loans must be paid back with interest. Typically a student will have 10 years to repay the loan.

For detail information on subsidized and unsubsidized loans go to Loans for students 

Federal PLUS Loans for Parents

With PLUS Loans, a student's parents or stepparents may borrow up to the total cost of a student's education, minus any other aid that the student receives. PLUS loans are not based on a student's family's income or assets and are only for undergraduate study.

The current interest rate is fixed at 7.0%. Interest is charged from the date loan funds are first disbursed until the loan is repaid in full. Generally repayment starts within 60 days of the loan's final disbursement for the school year, so a student's parents may be repaying both the loan and the interest while the student is still in college.  The parent may apply for a deferment based on the student's half-time enrollment which will defer payments until six months after the dependent student on whose behalf the parent borrowed ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.  PLUS loan deferments based on student enrollment must be applied for by the parent. 

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College